Sukkur is the central city of Sindh province; It is located on the west bank of the river Indus. The city is the starting point for all the archeological sites in Sindh. There is also a very busy central Bazaar in the city which attracts people from all over the Sindh province. Sukkur is also the home for Masoom Shah Jo Munaro (Minaret of Masoom Shah) a leaning tower constructed in the 18th century by historian Masoom Shah Bukhari who also ruled the city for a short period. There are some of the most respected relics of hidus in the city which include the Asthan of Kalka Devi and the Sadh Belo the asthan of Baba Bankhandi located on Sadh Belo Island in the river Indus.
Sukkur is also home to the rare dolphin species the Indus Dolphin which lives in the silty water of the Indus and is found most at Sukkur. The best thing to buy is Dates which are a good gift from here. One can also hunt for colorful handicrafts and Ajraks here. Sukkur is also the narrowest point of the lower Indus. Hence it was here English made the first barrage on the Indus in 1932. (Lloyd Barrage) 7 Canals were dug to distribute water in all parts of the province which eventually made Pakistan have the longest irrigation system in the world. With 38000 miles of irrigation canals known as the Indus Food System.
The Sukkur Barrage has 66 Gates. The Sukkur Barrage (formally called Lloyd Barrage), built under the British Raj on the Indus River, controls one of the largest irrigation systems in the world. It was designed by Sir Arnold Musto KCIE, and constructed under the overall direction of Sir Charlton Harrison, KCIE, as Chief Engineer. Construction of the barrage was started in 1923 and completed in January 1932. The 5,001 feet (1,524 m) long barrage is made of yellow stone and steel and can water nearly 10 million acres (40,000 km2) of farmland through its seven large canals. Some of the canals are larger than the Suez Canal.
In November 2004, the government of Pakistan initiated a rehabilitation project to revitalize its water storage capacity and distribution efficiency. The project was completed in July 2005, (with less than the allocated amount of Rs. 887 million). Experts believe that the rehabilitation of the barrage has enhanced its efficiency for another 60 to 70 years.